Wednesday, November 7, 2012

By the People, For the People

Before I start my whole recount of my mini euro trip, I'm gonna talk a little bit about my home country, the United States, and what has been going on there.

The elections just finished, Obama got reelected, some people are rejoicing, some people are complaining.  To be honest, I don't care.  I didn't vote.  I could have, but I didn't.  I really doubt that anything that will change the course of history can happen in four or even eight years.  Personally, the only thing I see right now is Europe.

If anyone were to ask me what it is I like so far about France, about Europe, or about anything revolving around being outside of the United States, it would be this: I like how people do things here- mostly contrasting against what I've seen and experienced in the U.S.

I always used to think, 'America is a pretty good country, and everyone else who lives here must think the same because they are lucky enough to live here as well."  However, coming here has shown me something; not everything that exists there is perfect, and there are other countries that people would be just as lucky to live in.  I think, finally, I was able to put the reasoning for this into one short, sweet, phrase:
People here in France/Europe have a better idea of how to make things work for everyone, and not just better for people who are more likely to affect percentages and pocketbooks.
I'm not saying the European system is perfect, but then again nothing quite is.  Not everybody agrees on it, but few will argue that is it hurting either.   I, personally, think that is what matters.

Just my .02 

0 comments:

Post a Comment