Thursday, November 29, 2012

Ramen of France

With most of the money that we college students having access too going to our educations, it leaves little room for stuff like 'high class,' especially with things like food.  As much as I would like to explore the probably mind blowing word of French cuisine, I have to go with what's just below it.  OK, a few steps below it.  Basically, if I were in United States, it would be something like ramen.  But since the only form of dry, ready-in-under-a-passing period noodles is still over 1 euro, I have to go with other things that this country has to offer me:

1.  Bread.  It's the staple in France.  I can buy a baguette from the bakery literary a hop, skip, and a slight slip down the wet sidewalk down the road from my host family's home for 60 euro centimes.  I even bought one the other day that was right out of the oven, steaming hot.  If I want something slightly sweeter, I can go to the store and buy a bag of rolls for under a euro.  Sure, I'm carbo-loaded for the rest of my life, but there's also other options including meat:

2.  Kebabs.  Me and my roommate concluded that Kebab shops are pretty much like the Taco Bell of France, as they're basically another country's food bastardized and turned into something that the natives would like.  That being said, they're pretty much better than anything that you could get on an average day at Taco bell, and with fries they usually aren't more than 5 euros.

3.  Fruits.  I heard recently that most of the little oranges- clementines- that are found in United States are grown in Spain.  Here in France, we're quite a bit closer, and there's fruits and vegetables here that I haven't even seen before.  And at the market every weekend, I can buy several pounds kilograms of them, fresh or dried, every week for under 5 euros.  So don't worry mom, I'm eating good.

0 comments:

Post a Comment